Guys this one is especially for the ladies because we want to celebrate moms this week for Mother’s Day and share our tips for an affordable manicure and pedicure. Everyone knows a woman loves to have her nails done, but sometimes the upkeep can be very costly. (Guys if you need a gift idea for your mom for Mother’s day check out the list of tools she will need and give them to her along with a coupon for the time she needs to do it.)
Going to get a mani-pedi combination at a salon costs roughly $35 and does not include a tip for your nail tech. To keep your nails fresh and beautiful, it often needs to be repeated every two weeks, sometimes sooner because lifting, playing, and cleaning after your little ones can do a number on your nails. Here is a guide to a do-it-yourself manicure and pedicure, so all you will need is the tools and someone to watch over the little ones for an hour or so.
The upfront costs for the tools you will need are minimal compared to the money you will save by doing it yourself. It is also a gift that will keep on giving.
Here is a list of the tools you will need:
- Nail polish (color and base/top coat)
- Nail polish remover
- Cotton balls
- cuticle pusher/nail cleaner
- cuticle nippers
- Nail clippers
- Nail file
- Exfoliating scrub
- Pumice stone
12 Easy Steps to a Flawless Manicure and/or Pedicure
1. Soak your nails in a warm bowl of soapy water to soften your cuticles.
2. Clean your nails with nail polish remover using a cotton ball.
3. Push back cuticles with your cuticle pusher and trim hangnails using your cuticle nipper. (Do not cut your cuticles!)
4. Clip your nails evenly to your desired length.
5. File your nails using an emery board to smooth and shape rough edges.
6. Buff your nails to smooth and polish the surface.
7. Exfoliate your hands and feet using a scrub to remove dead skin. For your feet you can use a pumice stone to scrub callouses or rough patches.
8. Moisturize with lotion.
9. Prep your nails with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to remove excess oils.
10. Apply a base coat to each of your nails.
11. Apply polish in three strokes: one stroke down the center of your nail, then along the sides. Let first coat dry, then apply a second coat of polish.
12. Finish with a clear top coat to seal polish and allow your nails to dry completely. (If you have any nail polish on the skin around your nails, allow it to dry and you can remove it easily in the shower or with a cotton swab and nail polish remover.)
Ladies, take the time to pamper YOU this week. We hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day and are able to enjoy this guilt-free manicure and pedicure.
If finances are keeping you from being able to relax, we would love to help! Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions is an award winning nonprofit organization that can help you create a budget and work toward a variety of financial goals. Money can be a huge stressor but we can help alleviate that stress for you! Give us a call today or get started here. Our services are available 24/7 online. We can help you make Mother’s Day as stress free as possible!